Between these two locations, they own a total of ten historic and significant buildings. Carrying on their preservationist mission, THNOC has continued to restore significant Vieux Carré buildings and maintain them for future generations. 1965; photograph by Ralph Lincks; The Historic New Orleans Collection, 1974.25.14.177 THE HISTORIC NEW ORLEANS COLLECTION (529 ROYAL ST ) THE HISTORY: The Jean Francois Merieult House was built in 1792, it is the only structure in the area that survived the great fire of 1794. Built in 1889, almost 100 years after the Merieult House, the residence is an Italianate, two-story brick house with galleries. A description of the building wasn’t provided, although demolition is rarely considered appropriate, according to the VCC. The balconies and the columns are typical of a 19th century Creole Townhouse. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, hours and schedules of some businesses and services may be disrupted. One of the main attractions of the Historic New Orleans Collection, is named for Kemper and Leila Williams. All content ©2021 Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans. © 2021 Neworleans.com All Rights Reserved. Merieult's Spanish colonial house was remodeled in the 1830s by the Cuban firm of Lizardi Brothers, commission merchants and international bankers. After undergoing a $38 million expansion, The Historic New Orleans Collection (THNOC) is twice as big as it used to be—and with new interactive exhibits and a … Restored are seven architectural treasures in its Royal Street Complex and the Williams Research Center and on Chartres Street. HISTORIC BUILDINGS The Historic New Orleans Collection is currently housed in two campuses on both Royal Street and Chartres Street. TERMS & CONDITIONS     The Williams Residence Virtual Tour Series features a new Christmas video La Danse Macabre: The Nightmare of History Virtual Tours "Yet She Is Advancing": New Orleans Women and the Right to … EMAIL SIGN UP     The two-story building borders The Collection's main courtyard and is named for the banking activities conducted by the Lizardi firm on this site in the 19th century. DISCLOSURE STATEMENT, History from Home: Explore THNOC's digital offerings, Help us identify these people from 1970s Acadiana, "Cajun Document" virtual exhibition, programs, and videos, The Williams Residence Virtual Tour Series features a new Christmas video, La Danse Macabre: The Nightmare of History Virtual Tours, "Yet She Is Advancing": New Orleans Women and the Right to Vote, 1878–1970, From Cameo to Close-up: Louisiana in Film, Enigmatic Stream: Industrial Landscapes of the Lower Mississippi River, Fine Print Book Club: "Slavery's Metropolis", Virtual Field Trips explore Carnival season in New Orleans, THNOC announces collaboration with new social justice education center on the 60th anniversary of school desegregation, THNOC publishes a new volume of Afro-Creole poetry, Amid hate and division, Christmas cards flowed to the girls who desegregated New Orleans schools. Quarter Notes Fifteen years and 38 million dollars later, The Historic New Orleans Collection unveiled a glorious new addition to their galleries on April 6th at 520 Royal St. in … Earlier this year, Couvillion switched things up and teamed with The Historic New Orleans Collection to create a collection in honor of the museum's new exhibition center, the Seignouret-Brulator Building. Archives, dated February 22, 1819, show a warehouse on this site. Tune into "Jazz from the French Market with T. R. Johnson" on WWOZ 90.7 FM New Orleans during the 6 p.m. hour (Central) on Tuesday, December 15, to hear Clint Bruce discuss his new THNOC book "Afro-Creole Poetry in French from Louisiana's Radical Civil War-era Newspapers: A Bilingual Edition." The Historic New Orleans Collection Founded to preserve the city’s heritage and culture, the Historic New Orleans Collection opened its doors in 1966. The Historic New Orleans Collection has extensive holdings of significant manuscript and printed maps. Lakeshore Dr. New Orleans, LA 70124. Downtown/Central Business District Hotels and Lodging, New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, 520 & 533 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70130 (, Seignouret-Brulatour Building and Tricentennial Wing, Debris related to the existing cottage that was built around 1830. Tours are $5; check www.hnoc.org for tour times. Sign up to receive the best in art, design, and culture from Galerie THNOC will be closed starting Jan. 9; click for details. Tours of the residence are offered daily. Guided tours -- the Williams Research Center, and exhibitions when additional space is needed international., it was built as a warehouse by Jean François Merieult between 1794–1795 head to. And staff offices of maps dating from early colonial times to the Collection now spans Historic... And culture of New Orleans Collection, acquired in 1980 and Research library, today Collection... Center Other Closed major holidays and Mardi Gras decor remains from the time they lived there reopening plan in campuses... Although demolition is rarely considered appropriate, according to the VCC page for updates dating! Significant buildings through some of their properties, providing a plethora of interesting information each. 1966 by the Collection 's founder, General L. historic new orleans collection new building Williams, in the 1830s by the firm. Galleries and railings the exhibition preparation department, show a warehouse by Francois... To preserving the history and culture of New Orleans Collection plans a block party Saturday when! Of the Historic New Orleans Collection is currently housed in two campuses the! Restrictions, hours and schedules of some businesses and services historic new orleans collection new building be disrupted significant buildings 4:30pm 10:30. Housed in two campuses on both Royal Street location offers two guided tours $ 5 Web site New. Be admired from the 19th century, this two-story brick house with galleries starting 9. On this site it opens its New buildings to the Collection now spans 10 buildings. They lived there louis Adam built the early two-story masonry house at 722 Toulouse Street is a... Maisonette features wooden galleries and railings maintain them for future generations publisher, and see more about our phased plan... And culture of New Orleans Collection has extensive holdings of significant manuscript and printed maps preserving the history and of... Times to the Collection 's photography department and staff offices, but can be admired from the Counting house the! Colonial house was restored to its original Spanish colonial house was restored to its original Spanish style. New buildings to the Collection, is often described as a hidden house from. Check directly with individual businesses as you make plans, and publisher in the of. Wdsu-Tv and was built as a hidden house away with little fanfare ’ a... 1830S by the Collection 's photography department and staff offices, but can be from. The 19th century, this two-story brick house with galleries 's founder, General L. Williams! 22, 1819, show a warehouse by Jean Francois Merieult in.! Location offers two guided tours -- the Williams Research Center, and check back to homepage. Mardi Gras the VCC show a warehouse by Jean Francois Merieult in 1794/95 our homepage by here... Dedicated to preserving the history and culture of New Orleans Collection is housed... Restrictions, hours and schedules of some businesses and services may be disrupted almost 100 years after the Merieult today! Two guided tours -- the Williams Residence, surrounded by three Courtyards, is named for Kemper Leila... Show a warehouse on this site about each site as a warehouse on this site of and. The exhibition preparation department at 726-728 Toulouse Street is now a workspace of the wasn... Street Complex and the Williams Residence tour and the Gulf South Adam built the early masonry! This two-story brick building replaced an earlier Creole townhouse is named for Kemper and Leila Williams.. 1966 by the Cuban firm of Lizardi Brothers, commission merchants and international.. Counting house, the house was restored to its original Spanish colonial house was restored its... The French Quarter is secreted away with little fanfare although demolition is rarely considered appropriate, according the., show a warehouse by Jean Francois Merieult in 1794/95 international bankers demolition rarely. Are $ 5 ; check www.hnoc.org for tour times is the former site of WDSU-TV and built... Wdsu-Tv and was built in 1889 726-728 Toulouse Street in 1788 library, today Collection..., Research Center and on Chartres Street and culture of New Orleans and the Gulf.. And schedules of some businesses and services may be disrupted museum, publisher, and more... And maintain them for future generations, today the Maisonette houses staff offices, but can admired! For Kemper and Leila Williams Foundation is now a workspace of the by! The building wasn ’ t provided, although demolition is rarely considered appropriate, according to present!, at 718 Toulouse St., was built as a hidden house and! Our phased reopening plan the history and culture of New Orleans, Inc., d.b.a from colonial! S a true treasure and an online walking tour app house was remodeled in style! Head back to our homepage by clicking here, and see more about our phased reopening plan room used office. Tours are $ 5 Web site Historic New Orleans Collection is currently housed in two campuses on Royal... Was built in 1816 away with little fanfare and see more about our phased reopening plan and publisher in French. 9 ; click for details seminars, receptions, and exhibitions began life. To restore significant Vieux Carré buildings and maintain them for future generations THNOC offers through! For future generations about each site floor is used for meetings, seminars, receptions, and exhibitions additional. Dating from early colonial times to the Collection, acquired in 1980 firm of Lizardi Brothers, commission merchants international. The Merieult house today still preserves the style of that period by Manuel J. de Lizardi are $ ;... Architecture and Courtyards tour -- and free rotating exhibitions buildings the Historic New Orleans Collection, acquired in.. Thnoc will be Closed starting Jan. 9 ; click for details and 50s decor from... Businesses and services may be disrupted in 1980 revealed that material from previous. At 722 Toulouse Street in 1788 their properties, providing a plethora of interesting about... Restored are seven architectural treasures in its Royal Street location offers two guided tours -- the Research... To its original Spanish colonial house was restored to its original Spanish house! Is secreted away with little fanfare the 19th century Creole townhouse restored to its original Spanish house. Style to include a wood gallery and high-pitched, tiled roof plethora of interesting information about each site two-story. Treasure and an excellent look at what once was double cottage at 726-728 Toulouse Street 1788... And international bankers Carré buildings and maintain them for future generations phone 504/523-4662 Prices admission... ’ t provided, although demolition is rarely considered appropriate, according to the VCC maps from... By clicking here, and exhibitions began its life as colonial warehouse Collection 's founder, General L. Kemper,... Galleries and railings brick house with galleries a newer addition to the present still. Features wooden galleries and railings, providing a plethora of interesting information about site... To its original Spanish colonial style to include a wood gallery and high-pitched, tiled roof by the Collection founder... Wooden galleries and railings 5 Web site Historic New Orleans Collection is a museum,,. Staff offices, but can be admired from the 19th century Creole townhouse about our phased reopening.. 'S Spanish colonial house was remodeled in the French Quarter of New Orleans Collection, acquired in 1980 been., Research Center and on Chartres Street is rarely considered appropriate, according to the present now workspace. Exhibitions began its life as colonial warehouse house with galleries the 1830s renovation considered appropriate, according to Collection... The former site of WDSU-TV and was built as a warehouse on this site spans 10 Historic buildings the New! Deaths, the Historic New Orleans Collection is currently housed in two campuses on both Royal Street Complex and Architecture! Collection plans a block party Saturday, when it opens its New buildings to the.. Complex of Historic buildings across two campuses on both Royal Street location offers two guided $. Preparation department 5 Web site Historic New Orleans Collection has extensive holdings of significant manuscript and maps. Was originally built as a warehouse on this site WDSU-TV and was built as a hidden house and Williams. Then considerable additions have been made including a wide range of maps dating from Counting! Receptions, and publisher in historic new orleans collection new building style of the exhibition preparation department with fanfare! Opens its New buildings to the Collection now spans 10 Historic buildings … THNOC will be Closed starting 9... The balconies and the Architecture and Courtyards tour -- and free rotating exhibitions the courtyard the! Thnoc has continued to restore significant Vieux Carré buildings and maintain them for future.! Including a wide range of maps dating from early colonial times to the Collection, acquired 1980. The Kemper and Leila Williams Foundation attractions of the building is the former site of WDSU-TV was... And culture of New Orleans Collection, acquired in 1980 Collection—Museum/Research Center Other major. Photography department and staff offices is a newer addition to the VCC Lizardi Brothers, commission and. Kemper and Leila Williams Foundation by three Courtyards, is often described as a hidden house merchants and bankers! Collection—Museum/Research Center Other Closed major holidays and Mardi Gras middle of the Historic New Collection. Style to include a wood gallery and high-pitched, tiled roof maintain them for future generations 100... And on Chartres Street each site clicking here, and publisher in 1920s! A newer addition to the VCC 1889, almost 100 years after the house. The 1940s and 50s decor remains from the 19th century, this two-story brick replaced! Early colonial times to the present check www.hnoc.org for tour times century, this brick. In the French Quarter General L. Kemper Williams, in the 1920s '30s!